There are currently 83 Guests and 0 Users online
Discontinuum Disc Golf Club of Northeastern Illinois
Bylaws& Operating Procedures
As passed at the May 2004 Club Meeting
NOTE: Within these Bylaws, the DISContinuum Disc Golf Club of Northeastern Illinois may be referred to as the "Club".
I. OPERATING GUIDELINES
A. The Discontinuum Disc Golf Club of Northeastern Illinois is an Amateur Athletic Organization, created as a nonprofit corporation in 2002 in accordance with all State of Illinois and Federal Government requirements and regulations. The activities and direction of the Club are based upon the Club Constitution, Articles of Incorporation, and the Club Mission Statement. The structure of the Club is modular, democratic, and includes the Board of Directors, Officers, appointed Staff, and general Club Members.
B. Club meetings will be held each month for the purpose of handling club business based on the annual goals and objectives as agreed upon by the Board of Directors. Monthly meetings shall be open to the general public; however, nonmembers and members not in good standing shall not participate in elections or cast votes upon any matter of Club business. Announcements and agendas of these monthly meetings (as designated by the President) shall be made public and posted no less than one (1) week prior to each month's meeting. The Secretary and Webmaster will communicate decisions and information from each monthly meeting (as designated by the President) to the general Membership at weekly leagues, through bulletin boards at local disc golf courses, newsletters, and the Club's internet presence.
C. Elections of the Board of Directors shall take place at each December Club meeting; the results of which are effective on the following January 1 st . Other voting processes shall take place only during regular monthly or special session Club meetings, as called for by the Board of Directors.
II. CLUB STRUCTURE
A. Board of Directors
1. The Board of Directors consists of four (4) positions:
b) Vice President
2. Each Board of Directors position is elected annually by Club Members' majority vote each December. The term for each Board position has no maximum limit; however, incumbent Board Members must be re-elected each year. If a Board position becomes vacant, that position shall be filled as soon as possible through a special election, the results of which shall be immediately effective.
3. Each Board Member must attend no fewer than seven (7) monthly Club meetings annually to be considered in good standing. Additionally, each Board Member must be a current dues-paying Member of the Club. Each Board Member shall act with professionalism, fairness, and honesty in all Club matters. The Board of Directors shall address all inquiries and suggestions from Club Members and respond to each in a timely manner. Each Board Member shall represent the Club with proper and positive attitude and strive to promote the Club at all times. During elections or decision-making voting sessions, each Board Member is allowed one vote per election item. Voting by proxy is not allowed for Board Members. Any Club Member in good standing may be nominated for possible election to the Board of Directors.
4. Failure of a Board Member to remain in good standing shall result in sanctions including disqualification of eligibility to seek another re-election to the Board, and in extreme cases petition for removal.
5. No Board Member shall be personally liable for any debts or liabilities of the Club in general, unless said Board Member's acts or omissions, causing such debts or liabilities, involve willful or wanton conduct . No Board Member shall gain any personal profit from the actions of the Club, as pursuant to the Federal IRC and State of Illinois Tax Code.
6. These requirements and expectations must be acknowledged and agreed to by any Member who accepts nomination or election to a Board position. The positions are those of fiduciary responsibility to the Club and its Members.
7. The Board may use traditional and/or electronic mail services for official Club correspondence and/or notices as required by law.
8. Any Club Member may seek the removal of any Board Member if he/she claims that said Board Member is in breach of that positions duties, as outlined herein. Any petitions for removal must be received by the Board no less than fourteen days prior to the next monthly Club meeting at which the vote shall occur. All current Club Members in good standing shall receive a special notification of the pending removal vote, as required by law, which will contain the name(s) of the Director(s) affected by said vote; so they may arrange to attend the meeting in person or vote by proxy. A removal vote is considered successful if two thirds of the current Club Members in good standing vote for removal.
B. Individual Board position descriptions
a) The President shall chair monthly meetings and special sessions of the Board of Directors. The Secretary and Treasurer shall report to the President. The President participates in the nominating of, and approves, all Staff nominations.
b) The President is responsible for maintaining positive relationships with Club sponsors, local players, and other disc golf organizations. President checks and confirms all public communications (monthly newsletters, club flyers, press releases, etc.) before release.
c) The President shall have access to the Club's bank account(s) and other investments, if any, with the expressed approval of the Treasurer. The President must be a past or current member of the Professional Disc Golf Association.
2. Vice President
a) The Vice President shall chair the Staff-based Operations Team, acting as team leader.
b) The Vice President is responsible for maintaining positive relationships with Club sponsors, local players, and other disc golf organizations. The Vice President shall assist the President as needed.
c) Any teams or committees created by the Board of Directors shall be managed by the Vice President (or by a delegate appointed by the Vice President if approved by the rest of the Board).
d) In the event of the President's absence, the Vice President shall chair Club meetings.
a) The Secretary shall be responsible for much of the communication of information within the structure of the Club.
b) The Secretary shall record and disseminate the agenda, minutes, and notes from monthly and other Club meetings. It shall be the duty of the Secretary to respond to public inquiries, answer appropriate Club email, or forward such communication to the President.
c) By nature of the position, the Secretary will need to work closely with the Webmaster or Assistant Webmaster in the combined goal of maintaining clear and consistent communication within the Club and in the eyes of the public.
d) The Secretary shall chair Club meetings in the President and Vice President's absence.
a) The Treasurer shall be responsible for the financial integrity of the Club. The Treasurer maintains all accounts payable, accounts receivable, sponsorship donations, and other Club investments.
b) The Treasurer shall give a comprehensive financial status report at the monthly Club meetings in January, April, July, and October.
c) The Treasurer is responsible for filing all appropriate State of Illinois and Federal taxes and fees as is pertinent to maintaining 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status as a non-profit corporation.
C. Club Staff
1. All Staff Members must be Club members in good standing. Staff Members are appointed by the President and/or the Board of Directors as stated above. Staff Members may not participate in Board-only voting sessions and shall report to the President.
2. Staff Member positions are as follows:
a) Webmaster (up to 2 positions) - Webmaster(s) maintain and grow Club internet presence (website, message board, and email), while ensuring all electronic communication is updated, relevant, and legal. Webmasters report to both the Secretary and President.
b) Operations Team (up to 3 positions) These positions are equal in responsibility and are directly managed by the President. These Staff Members shall share duties on projects, coordinate and execute projects, and handle issues dealing with:
• Rules - define, must be approved by entire Board of Directors
Disputes/Suggestions - listen to grievances, have the ability to call for a special Officer or general membership vote if necessary
• Tournaments/Events - develop standards, create Event Agreement for consistency and liability containment; also receives, reviews, and acts upon Tournament Proposals/Agreements when submitted
•Sponsorships - handle duties as delegated by the Board
•Discipline - review matters/instances of any Member's questionable behavior and decide on appropriate action; Club President should be informed of all disciplinary reviews or decisions.
c) Park Liaisons
Park Liaisons are selected by the Board of Directors to best represent the Club to area Park Districts in order to further the cause of Disc Golf and of the Club.
(1) Waukegan Park District Liaison: James Klem
(2) Round Lake Area Park District Liaison: Brett Comincioli
(3) Wildwood Park District Liaison: TBD
1. Membership shall not be denied to any individual based on race, religion, sex, ethnicity, age, dialect, or level of disc golf ability. Membership is valid from January 1 through December 31 of the current calendar year and is contingent upon payment of annual dues. Membership can be denied or revoked by Board of Directors' majority vote for violent, obscene, or harmful behavior, or for nonpayment of money owed to the club. Membership dues shall be reviewed annually by the Operations Team, who may choose to recommend the Board increase or decrease the fee. Membership dues shall be used for the growth of the Club and expenses as listed herein. Membership dues collected after November 1 of the current calendar year will count towards the following year's membership.
2. A Club Member is considered in good standing when his/her membership dues are current and he/she has no outstanding debts to the Club.
3. Club Members have the right to vote at end-of-year (annual) elections for Board of Directors as specified above. Members may also have the opportunity to vote during special session votes or elections, as specified by the Board of Directors. At annual elections, Members may vote: in person- actually attend the meeting and cast a ballot; by written proxy- designated proxy must announce intention of voting proxy before casting of votes; or electronic proxy- cast vote via email to proxy person or Club Secretary. No voting via proxy or electronic ballot will be accepted after said vote is closed by the meeting chair.
4. All Club Members have the right to express their viewpoints at club meetings or through the Club's internet presence. Club Members are responsible for proper use of Club information, documents, and for their own behavior. Club Members have the right to petition or lobby other Club Members and Board Members for the purpose of improving the Club or to sway a decision. This type of activity is limited to issues directly related to Club matters and should not be used as a platform for private gain, political/religious affiliations, or personal agendas.
5. All Club Members have the right to attend or not to attend Club functions (unless a Member is specifically required to attend said function as required by these Bylaws). All Members are highly encouraged to attend Club meetings, volunteer at Club events and functions, and promote disc golf in a positive manner. Members may request resolution of Club-related disputes through the Operations Team at any time.
III. FINANCIAL STRUCTURE AND PROCEDURES
1. Any purchases or orders on the Club's behalf over the amount of $25 must be performed by or have the written consent of the President and/or Treasurer.
2. Expenses include but are not limited to membership gifts, tournament prizes and entry packages, advertising, insurance, web hosting, and other incidental expenses incurred during the operation of the Club.
3. Any funds loaned to the club by individual Members shall be returned in full within the agreed upon timeframe.
1. Any income from club hosted events, sponsorships, or the sale of merchandise shall remain the property of the Club.
2. Such funds shall be used only for the growth of the club and expenses as listed above.
3. Any funds invested by the club should be maintained by the Treasurer.
4. No Club Member shall profit from any income the Club receives in the process of normal operations.
5. All income and funds residing in the bank account(s) shall be used for the specific purpose of furthering the purpose of DISContinuum and promoting disc golf in our communities.
C. Bank Account Information
1. An active checking account shall be maintained at all times for the purpose of paying any and all expenses related to the business of the Club.
Last Updated ( Sunday, 04 March 2007 )